2016-2017 IYIP Internship Positions are closed- please check back later for future postings or sign up for ACIC's e-bulletin for the latest news HERE.
Since 2002, the Atlantic Council for International Cooperation (ACIC) has offered over 100 internships in 16 countries through the International Youth Internships Program funded by Global Affairs Canada. These internships provide youth (age 19-30) with international development experience, skills, and knowledge to help better prepare them for future employment, while advancing Canadian development objectives.
ACIC works with its Canadian member organizations and their international partners to offer interns valuable experience both overseas as well as in Canada. Interns will work in the areas of securing the future of children and youth, stimulating sustainable economic growth, and increasing food security. Through this experience, interns develop skills and experience that will assist them in securing employment as well as enabling them to make connections and develop relationships with many Canadian development practitioners.
Internships are seven months in duration, with six months spent in host partner organization countries: Bhutan, Bolivia, Ghana, Gambia, Haiti, Jamaica, Kenya, South Africa and Uganda. Interns also work in Canada for up to one month with an ACIC member organization both prior to their departure overseas and upon their return.
Watch a few stories from past IYIP interns:
General Information Documents
Looking for a little more info? Check out the General Information document to gain a better understanding of what an IYIP placement involves.
Trying to decide if an IYIP placement is right for you? Please read the IYIP self-reflection document to ensure an IYIP placement is a good fit.
In conjunction with our members and overseas partners, the Atlantic Council for International Cooperation (ACIC) currently has interns working in the following positions:
- Micro-Finance and Business Development Coordinator - Kenya - Closed
- ACIC Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor CALID - Closed
- ACIC Resource Mobilization and Management Specialist CALID - Closed
- Resource Mobilization and Management Specialist NORSAAC - Ghana - Closed
- ACIC Financial Management Specialist NORSAAC - Ghana - Closed
- ACIC Business Development Expert WOM - Ghana - Closed
- ACIC Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Specialist, Eve for Life - Jamaica - Closed
- Community Facilitator Region 1 - Bolivia Closed
- eRoots Coordinator - Kenya Closed
- Health Administrator - Jamaica Closed
- Health Education Programme Manager - Jamaica Closed
- Health Promotions Manager - Jamaica Closed
- Food and Nutrition Intern - Uganda Closed
- Rural Livelihoods Intern - Uganda Closed
- Sexual Minority Health Intern - South Africa Closed
- SGBV and Criminal Justice Intern - South Africa Closed
- Poultry Sector Development Officer - Haiti Closed
- Value-Chain & Agri-Business Coordinator - Haiti Closed
- Health Education Intern - Gambia Closed
- Media Intern - Gambia Closed
Deadline for applications:
- March 1-3rd: Return to Canada - directly to Canadian placement with Canadian Member organization in Atlantic Canada
- Early-Mid March: Re-entry and Debriefing training in Halifax (3-4 days in length)
- Mid-End March: Final weeks of placement with Canadian Member organization in Atlantic Canada
- March 31st, 2017: End of internship program
*all dates vary depending on specific internships given Canadian member and Southern Partner needs and travel realities.
To be eligible for the International Youth Internship Program, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- be a post-secondary graduate—graduate of a degree or diploma program from a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CEGEP (collège d'enseignement général et professionnel) (By August 2016)
- be between the ages of 19 and 30
- have not previously participated in an internship within the Global Affairs IYIP initiative (formerly CIDA and DFATD)
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
After reviewing the above internship positions, please select the position(s) to which you are interested in applying (up to 3). You must complete the online application form and be prepared to upload your resume as well as a cover letter, in one merged document, please title the document with your NAME ONLY (first and last, middle if you prefer or if you only use one name just that one name), clearly explaining your reasons for wanting to undertake an internship and your suitability as a candidate. Please note that if you are applying for a position with a language requirement, you may be asked to perform a language test at a later date.
ACIC reserves the right to place an intern in the most appropriate position. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
As an equity seeking organization, ACIC encourages applications from individuals that represent the full diversity of communities across Canada, including complexities of intersecting identities such as ability, age, class, gender, gender identity, race, and sexual orientation.
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-431-2311