IIIYP: Volunteer Youth Corps Inc, Guyana
Internship Job Description:
VYC Robotics Support Intern
Organization: Volunteer Youth Corps Inc. (VYC)
The VYC was launched in 1996 against a backdrop of deteriorating care in the health sector, particularly at Guyana’s primary health care institution-Georgetown Hospital. Since that time, VYC has since grown to broadly address the developmental needs of children and youth through access to health, social and economic support necessary for improved quality of life. The youth unemployment rate is 41% in Guyana and when dis-aggregated by sex, the rate for young women is 46.90% unemployment and 39.70% for young men. VYC seeks to support young women in their careers and seeks to enhance women’s opportunities to start their own businesses. An overarching goal is to improve the socioeconomic conditions of young women living in Georgetown, Guyana.
In most developed countries, Robotics education is integrated in the school curriculum under STEM. While in Guyana there is no known Robotics school or Laboratory established there are still great efforts being done by the organization - STEM Guyana. Guyana is well on its way in promoting Robotics. In June 2017, the Robotics and Technology Exhibition in Georgetown showcased Robotics in a sports centre filled with children, youth, parents and other relatives, educators, and the general public. In July, Guyana experienced international recognition by coming in 10th out of 165 countries in the “FIRST Global Challenge” in Robotics in Washington, DC.
Volunteer Youth Corps Inc (VYC) will commence the implementation of a Robotics program targeting in-school youth under its Afterschool Interactive Math and Science Program. The After-school Interactive Math and Science (AIMS) program focuses on providing afternoon classes to High school youth using the concept of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Robotics incorporates engineering (mechanical, electrical, computer), sciences (mathematics and physics) and arts (aesthetics) and users are free to use their imagination.
The Robotics program will be implemented in 10 High schools (hosting the Afterschool interactive Math and Science Program). It is anticipated that a total of 300 students will complete the following levels in year 1:
- Level 1: Basic for beginners
- Level 2: Advanced /Post beginners
- Level 3: Expert level (post-advanced)
The program will expose students to innovation and creative technologies and strengthened STEM education be taught under AIMS. Application of Technology and Engineering education is an interconnected learning paradigm needed in Guyana’s education curriculum.
VYC Robotics Support Intern (2 Positions):
In this position, interns will be expected to:
- Assist in planning and organizing of Introductory Robotics Training for 15 Teachers
- Assist with organizing Robotics Lab to be used by 30 students daily
- Support teachers’ implementation of robotics classes at schools to reach 300 students
- Organize for students under the program to participate in Robotics competition hosted by partners
- Lead in monitoring the implementation of the program at assigned schools
Required Skills/Characteristics: The two interns selected for this position will need to collectively contribute the following:
- Experience working with In-school youth
- Interest and ability to learn to use the operating programming for the Lego Mindstorm EV3 Robotics Technology and Scratch General Information Technology
- Experience in class facilitation. An asset if this experience is in Engineering and Technology
- Experience in organizing events and willing to learn how to apply this experience to work in Guyana
- Knowledge of issues affecting youth, especially Indigenous in Guyana
- Ability to adapt to different cultures
Placement Characteristics: **This section is under development**