Hint: This member most recently had Chef Michael Smith host their event and raised over $28,000 to build a school cookhouse in rural Kenya. Can you guess who they are?
If you haven't already guessed, here are some photos to help you out!
Kenyan children outside a cookhouse FHF has helped to build
Our #reMEMBER Campaign DAY 1 Featured Member is... Farmers Helping Farmers!
The Basics: FHF is a community-minded people from PEI assisting East African farmers abroad. The organization grew out of a conference that took place in 1979. They have a growing list of projects from school twinning (Canadian schools partner with Kenyan schools) to their annual Village Feast. This feast brings together local chefs to put on a meal that showcases local food and raises funds to build cookhouses in rural Kenya. These are just a couple of the projects FHF run.
WHY WE LOVE FHF:
- Just 2-3% of funds raised goes towards administrative costs
- FHF has no staff; it's run purely by the good hearts of volunteers
- They take a hands-on approach to helping those in rural Kenya; they've partnered with UPEI to send students to volunteer in Kenya
i want to spend more time with FHF:
- a documentary with Michael Smith about behind-the-scenes work for the Village Feast
- a blog featuring FHF's adventures in Kenya